Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bullying: I Never Realized

Bullying: I Never Realized


Today in my early morning class (Speech 5) 
we began to watch a video: Bully.
This video takes personal accounts from families and individuals
who have been bullied, are currently being bullied, and have taken their life because of the epidemic.


Just weeks ago I remember talking with friends about bullying. 
I didn't understand that it really was such an impactful thing in many peoples lives. 
I said something like "there have been so many different organizations starting up to fight bullying… is it really that big of a deal? I mean there are many other things in this world that need assistance."

Yes 
there are many wicked things that take place in the world, 
but that doesn't mean you neglect any.
After watching that video I realized that.
The lack of joy and distraught demeanor that they portrayed when talking about
being bullied was so heart-wrenching. 

I admit I did find myself tearing up multiple times in class 
and
on my drive home in my car.

I couldn't stop thinking about the effect bullying has on families, communities and the individual. 
I began to think back on my junior high and high school days…

Did I bully people?
Did I witness bullying?

And I realized that I did witness bullying (nothing at the extent of the children in the movie) but it did occur.

To take it further I began to think of my nieces and nephews...
my future children.
I would NEVER want them to be treated the way the kids were in the movie.

It brought me to have compassion on the many people that are victimized by their own school mates. 
What a disaster.
I encourage you all to watch the movie Bully
and to stand up for people when you see someone being abused; mentally, emotionally or physically. 

The problem is though, bullying doesn't stop when you get out of high school or college or your masters program…
There are so many "adults" that continue the abusive behavior of belittling others to make them feel better about themselves.

And it all comes down to our inherently wicked self. 
We are such sinful human beings because we have forsaken and turned away from our loving and just God. Thankfully, because God is a myriad of qualities, His just and loving nature (just to name two qualities) prompted Him to send his own son so that we could be right with Him. 

What an outstanding God 
I am so proud to call Him my Father!

Your girl, Hannah 


No comments:

Post a Comment